Appetizers, Breakfast, Snacks

Sage and Parma ham corn muffins – Donna Hay Styling and Photo Challenge #4

December 30, 2011

Thanks to Simone we have another Donna Hay challenge. You can read more about it here.
The challenge recipe this month comes from Donna Hay issue 48 and the photo is either by Ben Dearley or William Meppem.
It a last challenge this year. I’m so happy for having the opportunity to take a part in this project. I have learnt so much. It is so different than taking your own style photos. I would say it’s like meeting somebody’s else vision.
This time I was fighting with a muffins pile, it was so hard to make a pile that doesn’t look flat. Also the light on the original photo seems more soft and some of it was bounced into the muffins, I just couldn’t get the same effect. And I don’t feel Parma ham in my muffins looks so delicious, but practice makes perfect.
Anyway, I liked this assignment mostly because I always adore shots with wider scene, you can see part of the table, a glass, it looks more real and you just want to grab a fork and start eating and I’m always somehow afraid of them, I don’t feel they are real enough.

Sage and prosciutto corn muffins
And here is the original photo.
Sage and prosciutto corn muffins - Donna Hay magazine

About the recipe. It is super easy, delicious and cute. It will be perfect for a party. Parma ham is quite salty, so don’t add too much salt into the muffins.

I want to wish you happy New Year. I hope it will good year for all of us. For me, once again there are some changes coming, hopefully they will be good.

Recipe comes originally from Donna Hay magazine and was presented by Simone here.

Sage and prosciutto corn muffins
Makes 12 big muffins (I got 20 small ones)

• 170 g instant polenta (semolina flour works too)
  • 75 g all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp sage leaves chopped (I mixed fresh chopped sage with dried one)
  • sea salt
  • black pepper
  • 360 g sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 12 sage leaves (extra)
  • 12 slices Parma ham

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan. Place the polenta, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), sage, salt, pepper, cream and eggs in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Place extra sage in the bases of 12 lightly greased 1/2 cup capacity (125 ml) muffin tins.
Line each tin with prosciutto and fill with polenta mixture.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked. Turn out to serve.

• Reply Junglefrog December 31, 2011 at 17:22

I’m so glad you managed to make it Magda! And such a great result too! I think you’ve done really well, both in terms of the light as well as the composition. And those cakes are delicious are they not? I will definitely be making those again. I think in the original photo they cranked up the contrast a bit plus part of it is due to me copying it from the magazine as the original does seem a little softer. More like yours. Overall very well done Magda! Happy New Year!

• Reply Magda December 31, 2011 at 17:51

Thank you Simone. It is great pleasure to take part in your challenge. And I must admit I’m so happy you didn’t have time to wrote the summary yesterday. I didn’t read the end of your post. Happy New Year!

• Reply Kristin December 31, 2011 at 21:06

Magda, I like your version even better than the original! You take beautiful photos. I’m glad I got to meet you earlier this year, wishing you a happy new year! x

• Reply Clare January 1, 2012 at 18:53

Absolutely gorgeous, Magda!! And the muffins look and sound so delicious, I will have to try them. Happy 2012 to you and hope to see you soon. :)

• Reply Magda January 1, 2012 at 19:18

Kirstin, thank you, it was pleasure to meet you. Happy new year to you too.
    Clare, thank you. I know we must organise a meeting. I’m still thinking about what we could cook, maybe it would be good to make a survey?

• Reply Sue/the view from great island January 1, 2012 at 23:24

I love these photo challenges, they are so interesting. You did a fabulous job!

• Reply Magda January 2, 2012 at 00:36

Thank you Sue. I love these challenges too, they make me work harder than usual ;)

• Reply Jenn January 2, 2012 at 17:53

What a lovely rendition! Your photo is gorgeous :)

• Reply Magda January 2, 2012 at 18:04

Thank you Jenn. Your photo is beautiful too. I can’t wait for a next challenge.

• Reply Julie January 2, 2012 at 19:19

I’ve been following this challenge and it looks like a lot of fun and they look delicious to eat. The crop really suits your image…I like!

• Reply Laura January 3, 2012 at 18:50

Great job Magda! I made the cakes but didn’t participate because none of the pictures were good enough, I tried to do it in a rush and it backfired.

• Reply Imen McDonnell January 4, 2012 at 19:32

I like yours better Magda….the bottom shot is prob just boosted in photoshop a bit. But aside from the competition, your shot is amazing…..you got skills girl!! Love it. Happy New Year. xx

• Reply Magda January 4, 2012 at 21:23

Julie, thank you. Yes it is a lot of fun and you learn a lot. You should join the challenge too.
    Laura, don’t worry, next time give yourself more time. I always start too late, it’s getting dark and I focus on small details and often don’t notice bigger issues. So finger crossed for your next challenge.
    Imen, Thank you. I think so too. Happy New Year.

• Reply WiseMóna January 6, 2012 at 12:18

I love yours Magda. There is a great depth to the end product and it looks like they tasted delicious. I admire you entering Simone’s competitions. I feel that I will never be able to get to that level of confidence with my shots. Happy New Year!

• Reply Magda January 6, 2012 at 12:26

Mona, thank you. I love beautiful photos and would like to be better photographer, but I’m so inpatient and I have to learn so much. Competitions, especially one like Simone’s make me more organized. Happy New Year!

• Reply Rafał Grabie November 11, 2012 at 22:08

You can make it better ;)