Cookies, Desserts, Polish food, Shrove Tuesday, Tiny sweets

Chrusty, chrusciki, faworki, angel wings

February 15, 2012

Ok, so I told you about Polish doughnuts. They are the most important part of the Fat Thursday, but there is something more. Something you can’t buy at a bakery. OK you can, but it’s very, very hard to find ones that taste good. I’m talking about faworki or chrusty, or chrusciki the name differs depending on a region. And apparently in US they are called angel wings and in Italy – chiacchiere.

Chrusty, faworki, angel wings

Chrusty (plural) mean dry branches broken off trees and this name is popular in my region.
Anyway, it’s only the name. They are simple. It is a deep-fried dough sprinkled with icing sugar, nothing else. But they are very, very good.
I remember once my grandma was frying them in the morning and later at school girls where wondering who has new perfumes and after a while I understood this was me. They smelled my grandma’s chrusty! I’m not sure if she added some aroma to it, but yes they smell lovely even on their own.
They also work great as a stress relief. Just read a recipe ;)

Chrusty, faworki, angel wings

Unfortunately it isn’t a family recipe. I should finally go home and grab a recipe notebook and some old cookbooks, but recipe comes from one of my favourites Polish food blogs White plate, you may want to check it even to just look at the beautiful photos.

Chrusty, chrusciki, faworki, angel wings

Chrusty, chrusciki, faworki, angel wings

Recipe from beautiful White plate blog

• 500 g plain flour
  • 4-5 yolks
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar (I substituted with rum)
  • pinch of salt
  • 200 g sour cream
  • 3 packets of Frytex or different shortening deep-fry (you can use it also oil or lard)
  • icing sugar for sprinkling
Place all ingredients into a bowl. Knead a dough. You can use a mixer.
It takes quite a long time. You will know that the dough is ready when it will be smooth and elastic.
If it is too dry add extra one or two tablespoons of the sour cream.
And now the fun part. Put the dough on the counter and start beating it with a rolling pin. If you beat it well, you will get more air bubbles and your chrusty will be lighter and better.
Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and leave it in a fridge for an hour.
Split the dough into a few smaller parts and roll it very thin. If you have a pasta roller, use it.
The thiner the better. Mine were still to thick.
Cut the rolled dough into rectangles 6-cm long and 4-cm wide (they should be longer than wider and shouldn’t be bigger than a pot you are frying them in).
Cut a slit in the middle of every rectangle.
And pull one end through the slit.
Heat Frytex or oil in a big pot or saucepan to 175°C. Use enough oil that chrusty can float freely.
Fry chrusty around 1 minutes on every side (or until golden). Don’t overcrowd the pan, as the oil temperature will drop down. Flip them using wooden skewers.
Take them out of the oil and put it on a plate covered with paper towel to absorb extra oil.
Sprinkle chrusty with the icing sugar.

Chrusty, faworki, angel wings

• Reply WiseMóna February 15, 2012 at 17:33

They look gorgeous Magda. So light and fluffy. I can imagine that they are a real treat. They call it Fat Tuesday in the US but still Pancake Tuesday here in Galway. Lovely light on that last photo and I love your tea cup and saucer.

• Reply Magda February 15, 2012 at 17:51

Thank you Mona. I know it’s called Pancake Tuesday here, but you wouldn’t be eating anything else than pancakes on that day, would you?
      I like this tea cup very much too, and I found out that Niamh from Eat like a girl has identical one.

• Reply Cross My Apple Tart February 15, 2012 at 18:06

Magda, they look and sound delicious! I think I will have to go to Poland next year for all of these Fat Thursday treats!

• Reply Magda February 15, 2012 at 21:07

Just let me know where are you going and I will give you a list of the best bakeries. One of my favourite Polish bloggers got invitation from a newspaper to rate doughnut along with famous food critic. Just imagine that :)

• Reply Amee February 15, 2012 at 18:27

I would much prefer those lovely little things to our rubbery pancakes. I think I shall join you and convert to Fat Tuesday.

• Reply Magda February 15, 2012 at 21:10

Ha ha. For me pancakes always mean French type – crepes. I was trying typical pancakes and still haven’t found I would like. But Fat Tuesday sounds better anyway, you can always find something nice for yourself :)

• Reply Gosia February 16, 2012 at 04:07

Oh, the memories you force back with these pictures. Chrusty invoke some of the best ones. Somehow I’ve shied away from them since I left Poland and I’ve never actually made them. You might have just changed my mind about it. Thanks, Magda.

• Reply Magda February 16, 2012 at 08:28

Good luck with them. They are a little bit demanding, so I can actually understand why you didn’t make them yet. But it is nice to make them once a year or so :)

• Reply Wine Dine February 16, 2012 at 04:45

Thank you Magda, just like my grandmother used to make :)
    Corina

• Reply Magda February 16, 2012 at 08:31

I knew chrusty is grandma’s thing :) I remember that big plate of chrusty on Fat Thursday in my grandma’s room.

• Reply Margot / Gocha February 5, 2013 at 21:52

Hi, Just a short note to let you know that I have mentioned your recipe on Bigos: http://bigos-uk.com/tlusty-czwartek-fat-thursday-recipes/

• Reply Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 17:41

Dzieki! Wlasnie Cie znalazlam! YAY! Bede Cie “sledzic” z Bostonu:)
    Pozdrawiam,
    Ada

• Reply Good Housekeeping’s Cookery Compendium Challenge: Day 4: Polish Faworki | February 24, 2015 at 07:03

[…] I think I’d like to find a different recipe and give that a bash. (A quick google turned up this beautiful looking recipe from Magda’s Cauldron – Totally going to give these ones a […]

• Reply Sonia Mrowiec May 31, 2015 at 13:08

Magda,

Thank you so much for the recipe. We used to have these ( chrusty) after Polish church and gorge ourselves! We used to call them ‘twisted trousers’ instead. Hope mine come out as good as yours!
    Sonia

• Reply Magda June 7, 2015 at 07:32

Sonia, I love the name twisted trousers! I hope your twisted trousers came out delicious!

• Reply Petra August 7, 2015 at 21:54

This is amazing, thank’s for sharing :D

• Reply Ronnie-John August 30, 2015 at 19:31

Dear Magda. Thank you for the recipe. My NAlso you must use the freshest and best fat for anna used to make these by the crate full. We kids would eat on them for a week. They are better if you use half rum and half vinegar. Any one not having success with this is not putting enough effort into it. Yes you must knead and beat. An hour or longer is not too short. and by hand only. That is why you do not see them is the bakeries. Also you must use the freshest and best fat for frying. You have made an old man happy! Thanks