Cakes, Summer

Happy birthday to me – Peach torte – Peach birthday cake

May 21, 2012
Another busy week passed by.
I turned 30. Yep, officially my twenties are over. I’m old. Ask Tomek, he will tell you.
Turning 30 should be big thing, shouldn’t it? So I thought maybe I could invite a few friends for drinks. But you see, I suck at throwing birthday parties, the last time when I organised one, I was 15. And I offended a colleague, because I didn’t invite him. So I gave up and celebrated birthdays quietly.
Once my friends threw me a surprise party. That was cool and I got a lovely, big teddy bear. I couldn’t take him here with me. I miss you Teddy Bear.
So this year I thought it would be nice to meet with my friends and celebrate. Anyway I’m 30 so I should handle it. Yeah, right…
I booked a table and baked a cake. But it was a bad day. A small note to myself – don’t try to organise your birthday parties! Especially on a day when there are the rugby final, football final and apparently hokey semi final, it’s not the best day for parties.
So we needed to move the party to our place. Luckily my friends didn’t mind and they brought me the best gifts ever. You will be able to see the results of using them on a blog (hopefully somewhere soon).
But enough about me. Let’s talk about something important, let’s talk about my cake.
Traditional, Polish birthday cake is a torte. A torte is a multilayered sponge, that is filled with buttercream or cream and fruits or jam.
My aunt makes the best torte ever, but this one is a little bit lighter version, instead of a buttercream you have a mix of cream and mascarpone. And if you are looking for a good sponge recipe, try this one. Yes, I agree that throwing a sponge on a floor isn’t everyday behaviour, but believe me it works :) You can use any other fruits.
 Peach torte, birthday peach cake

Peach torte – Peach birthday cake

Recipe from Moje wypieki with my modifications
For a 22-cm spring form

Sponge:

• 5 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup plain flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch or cornflour
Cream:
  • 400 ml double cream
  • 500 g mascarpone
  • 5 Tbsp icing sugar
  • 600 g peaches, sliced
Syrup to moisten the sponge:
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 50 g sugar
  • lemon zest from half lemon
  • 2 Tbsp rum or other sprit
Sponge:
Separate egg whites and yolks.
In a big bowl start whisk egg whites until they are almost stiff. Gradually add the sugar. Continue beating.
Add the egg yolks, one at the time fully incorporating each.
In a separate bowl sift the flour and potato starch.
Stir it in the eggs and sugar mixture gently with a spoon.
Cover a base of the form with a baking paper.
Pour the sponge mixture into the pan.
Bake at 170ºC/150ºC fan for about 40 minutes or until a wooden stick comes out clean.
Take the hot cake out of an oven and drop it from the hight of approx. 60 cm.  (I always put the towel on the floor). Dropping the cake makes the air leave the cake quickly and it doesn’t sink later.
Leave the cake in the pan. Put it back into the oven. Leave the oven slightly open and let the cake to cool down completely.
Take it out of the pan (separate the sides from a pan using a small knife).
Cut into 3 equal layers.
Syrup:
Boil the water with sugar and lemon zest. Cool it down. Mix the rum in.
Icing:
Whisk the cream until almost stiff. Add the icing sugar.
Stir the mascarpone gently. Be careful not to overbeat it.
Assemble:
Put the first sponge layer on a serving plate, soak it with the syrup. Cover it with 1/3 of the icing. Place 1/3 of peaches.
Place the second layer on the top, soak it with the syrup. Cover it with the icing. Place 1/3 of peaches.
Put the last layer and finally filling. Decorate it with the remaining cream and peaches.
Leave in fridge for a few hours to chill.
Peach torte, birthday peach cake

• Reply Marion May 21, 2012 at 20:28

It was the best birthday cake ever! Absolutely delicious. I wanted to ask you the recipe, now I just have to write it down :)

• Reply Magda May 22, 2012 at 22:08

Yes, exactly Marion. But I will need to wait for your grandma’s crepes recipe. They were delicious.

• Reply Paula Enredadera May 22, 2012 at 12:33

Happy birthday!!!! A little late, I must confess ;)

And, how many things food can do ;) You’re far away, but you can feel at home with a polish cake for birthday, isn’t great??
    And yours, it looks soooo fresh!! I’m sure it was delicious with a perfect sponge and the mascarpone!!

• Reply Magda May 22, 2012 at 22:14

Poland seems to be very close to Ireland with all Polish food you can get and all Polish people :) But yes, it is good to have food just like at home.
      It was fresh when I took a photo, it was like 5 minutes old cake ;)

• Reply monsterscircus May 22, 2012 at 14:01

Oh my this cake are so beautiful. just love your blog and photos, I have to try your Vanilla budding! Have a wonderful day and a late HAPPY 30, your now one of us :-)

• Reply Magda May 22, 2012 at 22:22

Thank you monsterscircus.
      Yes, you should try vanilla budding (and I love your wording – budding = pudding+budyn :D)
      Is there secret circle for 30 something?

• Reply MyFudo™ May 22, 2012 at 14:31

Happy Birthday! Lovely cake, or torte as what you traditionally have. I’d love to try this sometime, mix peach and raspberries since my husband loves peaches and I love raspberries. I am sure being 30 will bring you more adventures….=)

• Reply Magda May 22, 2012 at 22:25

MyFudo, oh you should definitely mix them. I was in a mood for strawberries, but I was afraid they don’t have enough flavour yet, but next time I will go for strawberries or raspberries!

• Reply Adrienne May 22, 2012 at 20:00

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Magda, happy birthday to you. You are 3 months older than moi and I am also dreading the turning of the decade for myself. Beautiful cake and glad you had a nice celebration in the end! :)

• Reply Magda May 22, 2012 at 22:27

Adrienne, don’t worry being 30 doesn’t change you :p You will be able to do stupid things like loosing your phone in unknown situation.
      And I still owe you a cake ;)

• Reply Adrienne May 24, 2012 at 16:46

I would die if I lost my eye phone, I can’t even remember life before it. Cake sounds good to me, will DM you on twitter to arrange!

• Reply Pencil Kitchen May 24, 2012 at 02:23

Happy birthday!!! 30 is an awesome age!! plus, you look like you’re 25. So that’s even better!

• Reply Magda July 11, 2012 at 21:41

Ha ha, thank you, although I thought I look 18 as I was asked for ID a few months ago ;)

• Reply Anonymous May 29, 2012 at 08:23

nice opinion.. thanks for posting.

• Reply Gosia June 6, 2012 at 02:05

Happy Birthday, Magda! 30 is old, you say? You cheeky girl, you! The cake is just so amazing and this lighter version has my wheels spinning.

• Reply Magda July 11, 2012 at 21:42

Of course it’s old. 18 was old as well ;)

• Reply Lauren July 8, 2012 at 02:03

A belated happy birthday to you, Magda! The photo of your gorgeous cake and decadent looking frosting tempted me to make the mascarpone frosting for gluten-free yellow cake, which I posted with a link back to your recipe here. Made a couple of tweaks to make it sugar-free, but it came out delish. Was so impressed with the combo of mascarpone and heavy cream (=the double cream y’all use!). Many thanks for the delightful post and your version of the frosting recipe!

• Reply Magda July 11, 2012 at 21:43

Thank you Lauren. I’m so glad you liked it and wow I adore sugar-free version, it means you can eat without any remorses, defenitly too good to be true ;)

• Reply Habiba @ CookingProjects August 13, 2012 at 06:19

This recipe looks amazing! Marked as one I’ve got to try soon. Tortes are my new favourite dessert. I’ve just put a recipe for a tiramisu torte on my blog :-)

• Reply Loose ends - Mascarpone - Magda's Cauldron January 12, 2014 at 19:24

[…] fold in mascarpone and icing sugar and voila, you have a perfect cake icing – I used it for my birthday cake, you can also use it as a base for simple dessert just add some fruits, crushed cookies and maybe […]

• Reply Berry meringue bars - Magda's Cauldron April 29, 2014 at 22:26

[…] was a special occasion. It was long journey, I’m far too practical to go for something like a layer cake, first of all there was a time factor, I needed to make three cakes in one evening, second – […]

• Reply May - I'm a fraud - Magda's Cauldron May 24, 2014 at 01:08

[…] parties, but I like baking myself a cake (yes, I do like bake a cake for my own birthday, I think my cakes are awesome :D). This year, my birthday was different than usual. I didn’t even needed to think what to […]