Autumn, Meat, Winter

Chicken on a beer bottle

June 25, 2012

Hello everybody.
I missed you. We are almost settled in the new place.
We can drink coffee at the beautiful balcony. There is a lot of light, so no more excuses for not enough light for photos. Well, I even can take photos in my kitchen, below you will find some samples.

east wall

The recipe I want to show you today is simple, delicious and as my friend said a little bit disturbing as well. The meat is moist, you can do it in no time.
My mom brought this recipe from one of her friends, well it’s not even a recipe, rather method.
Later on it become more popular in Poland because of a popular culinary show.
I also must admit to something. I was the bad cook, I forgot to scrap labels from the bottles. I’m ashamed.  Not only it looks like a beer advertisement but I haven’t noticed it until I started writing down the recipe. This what happens when you are too excited about blogging about something. So please forgive me. But I want to share this recipe with you so much, that I will show you it anyway.

And remember to to do it. You don’t want to eat paper, do you?

Chicken on a beer, wine or even water bottle

• 1 whole chicken (our was around 1,5 kg)
  • 500 ml/ pint beer in a bottle (as well you can try small wine bottle, or fill 500 ml bottle with water, we used lager)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • sweet paprika
  • or any other your favourite spices
    1. Fill a roasting pan with a 1-cm of water. Scrap labels from the bottle. Place a bottle of beer in the middle of the pan and open it.

chicken on a beer bottle

• Remove the chicken giblets. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers. Rinse chicken inside and out under cold running water. Dry chicken thoroughly with paper towels.
  • Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, or your other favourite spices. For the best results put the chicken into the fridge for at least an hour.
    chicken
  • Place the chicken at the bottle (legs down).
    Chicken on the beer bottle
  • Place the pan with the chicken gently into a preheated oven to 160°C/140°C fan.
  • Roast until skin is deep golden brown and crisp and the juices run clear when pierced. It’s around 1 hour per 1 kilo of chicken.
    Chicken on the beer bottle
  • Be careful when removing the chicken from the oven. Take the chicken gently from the bottle and slice into pieces.
    Chicken on the beer bottle baked some time ago in Krakow.
    Chicken on the bottle baked some time ago in Krakow.

• Reply Paula June 27, 2012 at 08:20

This sounds good, I have cooked chicken with beer before but never like this. Will have to try it sometime.

• Reply Magda June 28, 2012 at 13:02

Paula, you should definitely try it. It’s so simple and delicious :)

• Reply Paula Enredadera June 27, 2012 at 15:15

A few years ago I moved from a 1st floor to a 20th floor, so I understand how you must feel having now all that light, all that air, and the sights. Congratulations!! It worth all the work of a moving.

I have seen sometimes using the beer to put the chicken, and never make it. But I want to do it someday, even if I’m sure I’ll forget scraping the labels :P

I love the last photo, it’s funny to see the kitchen sitting, like waiting to be eaten!!!

Nice to see you again, and sorry one more time for my bad english ;)

• Reply Magda June 28, 2012 at 13:04

Paula, wow from 1st to 20th, that’s huge difference. We only moved from 1st to 3rd, but windows make huge difference and now they south facing.

Ha ha, maybe we should start a group “People who forget to scrap labels” ;)

Of course he is waiting to be eaten ;)

And your English is really good :)

• Reply Edita June 28, 2012 at 10:41

Hey Magda,I hope that’s my Home Brew your using,including the bottle.Looks great.
    Keep up the good cooking and cookies.

Mel

• Reply Magda June 28, 2012 at 13:05

Mel, why are you using Edita’s account?
      I haven’t got your Home Brew, so sorry I couldn’t use it. Maybe next time we meet you will bring some ;)

• Reply Leek and white cabbage with coconut milk and the ugly world diet - Magda's Cauldron July 28, 2014 at 13:21

[…] The leek, cabbage and coconut combination is pretty amazing, especially if you are a curry lover. It’s simple and goes brilliantly with a roasted chicken. […]

• Reply Sylvia December 3, 2014 at 13:25

with labels?? shouldn’t you take the labels off?

• Reply Magda December 3, 2014 at 21:33

Sylvia, you should scrap the labels, I was just scatter-minded and forgot. I know. I’m a bad cook.

• Reply Backpakuje.pl February 24, 2015 at 12:59

It should be the tite “Chicken on a Polish beer bottle”! Looks great, even if I am vege ;)

• Reply Magda February 25, 2015 at 21:40

Ha ha, exactly Edka! Although I don’t know how I missed to remove the label…