Ireland

Belfast

July 22, 2012

Have you ever been to Belfast?
If your answer is no, then you should change it. It’s beautiful and food is delicious.
For a quite long time we put off our trip to Belfast in favour of visiting other places in Ireland.

Belfast - City Center

But last weekend was perfect time to go somewhere and do some sightseeing instead of sitting at home (yes, our apartment is lovely and couch is so comfy…).

Belfast City Hall

I didn’t have any expectations. I got really good tips from one of my coworkers Patrick what to see and where to eat, read a little bit of my guidebook and we headed to Belfast. We were lucky to see Belfast almost empty. It was the bank holiday weekend, so you wouldn’t see too many people on the streets. It was somehow refreshing. Taking photos is easier when you don’t have too many people around.
Queen's University Belfast
Belfast is beautiful. I loved the architecture, even though some of the buildings look older then they actually are I still find them pretty.
The Parliament Buildings at Stormont.
Lovely botanic garden.

Botanic Garden Belfast

When it comes to food in Belfast you can’t complain. Thanks to recommendation we had lovely dinner at Nick’s Warehouse. The food was delicious.

We went for a pint to the Crown Bar. The interior is just gorgeous.
Crown Bar Belfast

But something we really felt in love was St. George’s Market. Can we please move it to Dublin? Pretty please.

St. George's Market Belfast

You can find there a lot of different things – fruits, veggies, jewellery, seaweed, spices, bread.

Seaweed St. George's Market Belfast
white eggs

We weren’t the only ones who decided to start a morning with breakfast in St. George’s Market.

Food stalls in St. George's Market Belfast
Food stalls in St. George's Market Belfast

Waiting for breakfast.

Waiting for Belfast Bap in St. George's Market Belfast

Belfast Bap, it’s probably not the healthiest breakfast ever, but it was delicious :)

Belfast Bap in St. George's Market Belfast
Belfast is of course famous for its history. There are a lot of murals and places that remind you about it.
Murals in Belfast
Hotel Europa that is known as the “most bombed hotel in Europe”.
Hotel Europa in Belfast
But Belfast is really safe city. It is considered the second safest city in the world behind Tokyo. And I must agree with opinion that people there are really friendly, we met a cyclist who just stopped for a chat when we were taking photos.
Of course Belfast is all about Titanic.
Giant cranes Samson and Goliath in Belfast

The new Titanic Belfast® is really entertaining.

Titanic Belfast® - Titanic Museum in Belfast
Titanic Belfast® - Titianic interior

• Reply Paul Callaghan July 23, 2012 at 15:02

Stunning pictures :)
    I used to live in Belfast for 3 years, sometime you never see a place the way someones photographs show it :)

• Reply Magda July 23, 2012 at 19:28

Thank you Paul. You should take the sightseeing bus. We didn’t manage see all the things we planned and tend to just walk around the city. But these photos actually cover very touristic places :)

• Reply Kristin July 23, 2012 at 18:07

I’ve lived in Ireland for 13 years, but I only went to Belfast for the first time last year – even though it takes me just as long to drive to Dublin as it does to drive to Belfast (just 1 hour to either city). We’ve been making up for lost time and go up often now.

• Reply Magda July 23, 2012 at 19:30

Oh so I see sometimes it takes even longer than a year. I must say that I think I liked Belfast slightly more than Dublin, but don’t tell anybody ;)
      And if you haven’t been to Nick’s Warehouse I strongly recommend. We wanted to try Made in Belfast as well, but it was full, so maybe next time.

• Reply Caroline@Bibliocook July 24, 2012 at 08:27

Now that you’ve gone north, Magda, you’ll have to come south! Cork awaits…

• Reply Magda July 24, 2012 at 19:21

Caroline, it was actually Cork vs Belfast, but train tickets were cheaper to Belfast on that weekend. So next time – Cork :)

• Reply Pastie Bap July 27, 2012 at 09:09

Excellent photos and I’m glad you enjoyed our wee city! Hurry back now y’hear?

• Reply Magda July 29, 2012 at 10:14

Thank you Pastie Bap. We will do our best. We still have a few places to see and some food to eat ;)

• Reply Adrienne July 27, 2012 at 20:01

Your photos are beautiful Magda, I’ve been to Belfast many times, mostly just quickly passing through and haven’t seen most of the places in your photos. What an amazing market that is, Dublin could really do with something similar! Glad you had a nice trip away!

• Reply Magda July 29, 2012 at 10:22

Thank you Adrienne. It’s easier to be new in the country, you go sightseeing more often.
      The market is great, it’s indoor and it’s big.

• Reply Fandango Bizarro September 4, 2012 at 20:14

Hey Magda! I’m from Belfast and I’ve really enjoyed reading this post just now, so glad I found it! I live in England and I miss my home in Belfast every single day. <3

• Reply Magda September 4, 2012 at 21:00

Thank you Fandango. I’m glad you liked my post. We really enjoyed ourselves in Belfast. It is really lovely city.

• Reply Edinburgh - Magda's Cauldron November 6, 2013 at 21:16

[…] shoes with you. It is also very green. When it comes to architecture style Edinburgh reminded me Belfast and Harry Potter, but this is justify, J. K. Rowling has been writing here books […]

• Reply Borough Market, London - Magda's Cauldron May 17, 2014 at 21:19

[…] there is one exception – markets.  I love them all – Mercato Trionfale in Rome, St. George’s Market in Belfast, Honest2Goodness in Dublin,  Milk Market in Limerick, Plac Ibramowski in Krakow, my hometown […]

• Reply Nancy Wilde January 15, 2015 at 03:44

“Taking photos is easier when you don’t have too many people around.” – so true!
    Belfast Bap looks yummy!! Which camera and lens did you use? Another great post, how lovely!

• Reply Magda January 16, 2015 at 20:46

Thanks Nancy. I have very basic Canon 1000D. As for lenses lately I mostly use my Canon 50mm 1.8, I’ve started taking it for walks as well. In the field I usually use 28-75mm Tamron 2.8, but in Belfast we actually had wide angle – Sigma 10-20mm 2-5.6, you can easily spot aberrations.