Ice cream, St. Patrick’s Day, Summer

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

September 27, 2012
Today is Arthur’s Day, a day when Guinness drinkers are expected to raise a glass to the memory of Arthur Guinness. Yes, Guinness is Irish, you see it in every pub, but if you don’t like the taste of it why not to make a delicious Guinness stew, or maybe make ice cream, what you think?

I made this ice cream to celebrate my new ice cream maker.
The ice cream is creamy, sweet from chocolate and little bit bitter from Guinness. The taste is interesting, the texture is fabulous.
I love my ice cream maker. If you needed an excuse to get one, now you have it, even your husband/boyfriend/partner will support you (even if you have a ton of kitchen equipment) as anything with a beer must be good, and somebody needs to drink Guinness leftover. Yes, making ice cream takes some time, but where will you be able to buy Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream?

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe comes from Brown Eyed Baker and it’s David Lebovitz recipe
  • 200g milk chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ¾ cup Guinness Stout
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.
Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
Pour the custard through the strainer over the milk chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is melted. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cream, then the Guinness and vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (at least 8 hours or overnight), then churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

• Reply Paula Enredadera September 28, 2012 at 07:15

I have made this recipe this summer and it’s perfect, I love, as you say, that flavour between the sweet and the bitter, it’s great!!

We also made another Guinnes Ice cream that didn’t use chocolate, only some chips adding at the end, and it was also an interesting flavour, a little stronger, but really good!!

• Reply Magda Faszczewska September 28, 2012 at 20:58

I will try that as well Paula. At the beginning the taste seemed a little bit weird, but at the end of batch I felt addicted :D

• Reply veru September 28, 2012 at 08:15

I like this recipe. I made in a simpliest way withoiut chocolate and it turned out perfectly. Great photos Magda!!

• Reply Magda Faszczewska September 28, 2012 at 21:00

Thank you Veru. I think that next time I will try this version as well.

• Reply Dana @ Minimalist Baker September 30, 2012 at 19:58

This recipe is absolutely stunning. Wishing I could order a shipment to my house : )

• Reply Magda Faszczewska October 1, 2012 at 13:05

Dana, I agree, all food blogs should have a quick delievery feature ;)

• Reply Matgalen October 2, 2012 at 17:33

That´s a great idea, need to get my ice cream maker in order

• Reply Gosia October 31, 2012 at 00:13

Magda, I sure, didn’t need an excuse to get an ice cream maker, and needless to say, I’m a serious ice cream maker collector now. Thanks for the recipe. Will be giving this recipe a test at Christmas, while in sunny Arizona. Hugs.
    Gosia

• Reply Cami Lopez November 16, 2012 at 02:48

You really do this good. I am happy to have seen your blog, thanks for sharing this one!

• Reply Shibi Thomas November 19, 2012 at 17:50

Nice to meet you!!! The ice cream looks very soft and creamy. I am sure it tastes awesome too!!!

For some quick and healthy recipes check out FlavzCorner

• Reply Happy St. Patrick's Day! - Magda's Cauldron March 17, 2014 at 18:43

[…] barely green, or worse coloured green. I feel that it is more appropriate to cook with Guinness (Guinness ice cream or cake, anyone?), Irish whiskey (although not everybody will agree) or probably the most […]