Autumn, Cakes, Polish food, Winter

Tatra mountains apple pie

October 14, 2012

It is Sunday evening. I try to get my thoughts together and write a nice post.
Where did this Sunday go?
Was it a slow morning with nice breakfast, or internet browsing while it was too cold and rainy to do anything else?
Or was it because we managed to kick our arses and go for a run (Paula’s happiness about her morning running might have helped a little bit ;).
Or maybe it was a photo session with coffee and pear cake that took my Sunday away.
So here we are, it’s 19:30, almost bedtime, at least it was the bedtime for all kids when I was a kid, as in Polish public TV (we didn’t have any private ones, and well it was only one channel) at 19:00 there was a cartoon, a kind of bed-story called Dobranocka (Dobranoc mean Good Night).  Each day there was a different one, Friday was The Smurfs day. But the most classic one was a story about a little, flop-ear bear. The bear finished his story with a song:

Whenever I hear the song I feel sleepy. Yawn… Sorry.
But I was supposed to tell you about something else, but words don’t want to come to me.
So have a look at a few photos I took during my parents visit. Ireland is beautiful, isn’t it?
Irish landscape: horses at the seashore  - county Cork
view from Cashel castle, Ireland / Irish cementary
Irish landscape: sea, mountains, green grass  - Bantry, county Cork

The  Tatra mountains apple pie  recipe comes from my favourite Polish baking blog – Moje wypieki. Dorota works on translating all her recipes to English so some day you will be able to browse through her archives without necessary using not very reliable Google translate.
The original name is Szarlotka spod smiuśkich Tater. It is hard to find the right translation, but basically it means Tatra mountain apple pie.
The name makes references to apple pies you can eat in mountain shelters and you can guess everything tastes better when you were hiking for last 8 hours in high mountains.
But you don’t have hike anywhere if you don’t want to (but it would be recommended, the world is beautiful place and there is always something interesting to see) and still this apple pie will taste wonderful. The crust is crispy, the apples are just perfect.

Tatra mountain apple pie

Tatra mountains apple pie

recipe from a blog Moje wypieki
for deep (around 6-cm deep) 23-cm spring form

Crust:

• 250 g plain flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup icing sugar
  • 125 g butter, cold, cubed
  • 1 egg yolks (leave the egg white)
  • 1 Tbsp sour cream

Filling:

• 1-1.5 kg apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cardamon
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • 2 Tbsp sugar (the amount depends on the apple sweetness)
  • dry breadcrumbs
Crust:
Sift the flour, icing sugar and baking powder.
With your hands, rub together the flour mixture with the butter cubes until the mixture forms small breadcrumbs. Alternatively, you can use a food processor for 10-12 second.
Add the egg yolks and sour cream and knead it quickly.
Divide the dough into two uneven halves approximately 2/3 and 1/3.
Wrap the smaller piece into cling film and put into the freezer.
Grease a cake form with a butter.
Dust it with flour. Set aside.
Roll out the bigger piece of the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it covers the spring form base.
Transfer it gently into the form. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the form.
Prick the dough with a fork. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Filling:
Mix apples, cinnamon, cardamon and ground cloves.
Don’t drain the juice.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
Remove the dough from a refrigerator and bake it for 10-15 minutes.
Brush the pastry with a little of the beaten egg white. Bake for another 2 minutes.
Sprinkle it with a few tablespoons of dried breadcrumbs (they will soak up the excess of liquid).
Transfer the apples into the tin.
Grate the remaining dough and place it at the top of the form.
Bake at 180ºC/160ºC fan around 60 minutes or until golden.
Cool the pie before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.

*I used Polish flour krupczatka, this is slightly coarser type of white wheat flour, some say this flour makes shortcrust even better. If you ever get to try it let me know what do you think.

• Reply French foodie in Dublin October 14, 2012 at 21:26

Your pics are beautiful. they make me want to travel in Ireland more and your apple pie makes me want to eat something sweet now ;-)

• Reply Magda October 14, 2012 at 21:42

Well French Foodie I feel that I did my job well now :)
      Ireland is beautiful, this year we didn’t travel too much and I feel a little bit sad about, but hopefully there will more travels in the future :)

• Reply French foodie in Dublin October 15, 2012 at 19:12

I’ve travelled a lot worldwide but not at all in Ireland, maybe because I feel I have the rest of my life to do it, I don’t feel in any rush. It’s a beautiful country indeed!

• Reply Magda October 18, 2012 at 20:46

I find it Ireland so beautiful and there is so much to see and I’m never sure how long time I will spend here so we try to see as much as possible.

• Reply Edita October 15, 2012 at 19:20

lovely post Magda!

• Reply Magda October 18, 2012 at 20:46

• Reply Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 15, 2012 at 23:03

Your photos of Ireland are beautiful! And the apple pie is very appetizing!

• Reply Magda October 18, 2012 at 20:46

• Reply Dina October 15, 2012 at 23:43

thanks for sharing. i’d like to try the Polish flour.

• Reply Magda October 18, 2012 at 20:49

Dina do you you live in NY? You just need to find Polish or Eastern European shop or drop by to Ireland or Poland :)

• Reply Anonymous October 16, 2012 at 17:55

Chcialabym sprobowac ta szarlotke ale pierw, moglabys mi powiedziec rozmiar blachy?

Dziekuje :)
    -Zosia

• Reply Magda October 18, 2012 at 20:50

Witaj Zosiu,
      Rozmiar blachy jest podany pod tuż nad listą składników. Ja używałam 23cm tortownicy.

• Reply Ylia October 23, 2012 at 19:23

Hi Magda, I love your recipes and photos! I stumbled upon your blog while I was looking for polish recipes to pamper the polish bf at home. I would love to learn more about polish cuisine, but I can’t find any other blogs in English. Could you perhaps recommend others? I’d be very thankful!

Greetings from Germany.

• Reply Muhammad Farhan November 17, 2012 at 14:39

There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle you crave. These genius tips
    Will help you shed inches and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more gorgeous.
    we have very best advice for quickly shrinking your tummy. Here are the surprising

5 Tips to a flat stomach

Hello, skinny jeans! Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will finally lose your stubborn belly fat

• Reply Apple tart - Magda's Cauldron October 24, 2013 at 20:30

[…] picked this tart or actually a mix of tart and pie because I like boiling sugar and because making traditional apple pie seemed too […]

• Reply Apple pies and szarlotki - Magda's Cauldron September 11, 2014 at 20:57

[…] a weekend and I should plan it better, but I made one of recipes that’s already on the blog Tatra Mountains Apple Pie. On the bright side, it’s delicious. The pastry is super easy, there is a lot of apples and […]