Autumn, Christmas, Cookies, Winter

Triple Ginger Cookies

December 17, 2012

Dear blog,
I know I had been a bad blogger. I also know that I shouldn’t say it at loud, because blogging is a serious business. But you are mine, so I can do what I want.
But this time I have a good excuse, well even two.
Ladies and gentlemen meet Mutu and Filo.

black and white kittens

These guys are 3 months old and they have been with us for 3 weeks. They weight twice as much as the day we got them. As you can see we have pretty good time. Don’t be deceived, it’s not that they are only sleeping, but the winter light isn’t good enough to catch their quick jum as lighting movement.

black and white sleeping kittens - instagram collage

So instead of cooking, baking and photographing I was staring as these two guys are playing or sleeping.
But Christmas is coming so I decided that is about time to bake cookies. I have baked these gorgeous cookies for third year in the row. I was convinced that the recipe comes from Heidi’s Swanson recipe, but somewhere in the process I added chocolate to them, why? I don’t know, probably because chocolate is good.  Anyway, if you look for cookies to spice up your Christmas, it’s a good way to go.

Ginger Cookies
based on recipe from 101 Cookbooks blog

• 1/2+ cup large-grain sugar (i.e. turbinado)
  • 245 g spelt flour OR wholemeal flour or plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp star anise, finely ground
  • 4 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 113 g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 60 g molasses
  • 100 g cane sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 large egg, well beaten
  • 1 cup crystallized ginger, then finely minced
  • lemon zest from 2 lemons, grated
  • 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.

Place the large-grain sugar in a small bowl, and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, star anise, ground ginger, and salt.
Heat the butter in a pan until it is just barely melted.
Stir in the molasses, natural cane sugar, and fresh ginger.
The mixture should be warm, but not hot at this point, if it is hot to touch let it cool a bit.
Whisk in the egg.
Add the flour mixture and the crystallized ginger (make sure it isn’t too clumpy), and lemon zest.
Add the chopped chocolate. Stir until just combined.
Form the dough into bit sized balls. Roll them in the sugar. Place it on a parchment lined baking sheet leaving some space between.
Bake for approx. 10 minutes (it depends on the cookies size) or until cookies darken a bit.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Triple Ginger Cookies

• Reply French foodie in Dublin December 17, 2012 at 21:19

Magda, your little kittens are so cute. Such a great idea to get 2 of them. They must have so much fun together!
    The cookies look delicious :-)

• Reply Magda December 18, 2012 at 11:09

My boyfriend convinced me to get two and he was right, since we spend over 8 hours at work one kitten would be a little bored. Although to be fair they sleep for 18 hours or so. Oh I wish I could be a cat.

• Reply Julie December 19, 2012 at 17:09

Hello Magda,

I’ve been a bad blogger this year due to our move and very slow internet connection in our village. Thankfully this has changed now. I love the two new addition to your family and their sweet photos. We lost our cat this pat summer due to illness and we are missing her terribly.

I love the look of these rustic looking cookies. Merry Christmas Magda!

• Reply Magda December 30, 2012 at 12:49

Hello Julie,
      I’m sorry for your cat lost. I’m looking forward to new recipes from you.
      Happy New Year.

• Reply Colette December 20, 2012 at 15:21

Hi there, just to let you know, my blog”Cakes, Bakes, and Other Bits” has moved house and is now on wordpress. http://katzwizkaz.wordpress.com. If you could change the link on your blogroll, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

• Reply Magda December 30, 2012 at 12:53

Hi Colette,
      I changed the blogroll, but to be true I hardly ever use it. My rss reader is much more up-to-date. I changed the url there as well. Good luck with new place :)

• Reply Emma December 21, 2012 at 00:14

Hello Magda! Nice cookies, they are so lovely….. and cats as well :-)

I gave You a “Liebster Blog Award”, You can check it here. Merry Christmas!

• Reply Magda December 30, 2012 at 12:55

Thank you very much for the Liebster Blog Award. Happy New Year to you.

• Reply Adrienne December 29, 2012 at 17:56

Hello Bad Blogger, don’t feel bad as I am also a bad blogger. Kittens are a good excuse, I wish I could have used them for my excuse too. Those cookies look rather amazing, I’ve just discovered the amazingness of ginger cookies and I don’t think these would disappointment me. Hope you have a lovely New Year and 2013. Adrienne x

• Reply Magda December 30, 2012 at 12:57

Hello Adrienne,
      I’m not sure if I ever become a good blogger or gym member. Of course you can use your cats as an excuse too, one is evil, so she must be time consuming ;)
      Have a wonderful New Year and 2012 :)