Lavender and honey bread

lavender and honey bread

Maybe if I lived in a country where good quality bread is easy to find I wouldn’t make my own bread. We will never know, as I already got a bug. There is something addictive about bread making. Probably it is a smell of freshly baked bread, a tiny hiss you hear in a crust or just an sight of crust cracks that fascinate me from early childhood.

lavender and honey bread

I’ve baked quite a few loaves, but I’m not a pro. I kill sourdough starters, the last one has survived probably only because Lou inspired me to keep on, but it is used only from time to time as I always forget to feed it on time. But that doesn’t matter, once you make enough loaves, you learn that in a way bread is very flexible and forgiving.

lavender and honey bread

The idea of adding lavender seemed really romantic. I always wanted to be romantic, even though I’m sensible type most of the time. The bread is not soapy, there is barely a hint of lavender and honey, very pleasant combination.

Let’s be romantic, let’s add lavender to our breads more often :)

lavender and honey bread

Lavender and honey bread

Lavender and honey bread

The recipe adapted from "Dough" by Richard Bertinet

• 300g wholemeal flour
  • 200g strong white flour
  • 1 heaped teaspoon dried lavender
  • 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 30g honey
  • 350g water
In a large bowl place the flours and lavender. With your fingers rub in the yeast on one side and the salt on the opposite (yeast get killed in contact with salt).
Add the honey and water and stir it with a wooden spoon until everything combines nicely.
Cover the bowl with a tea towel or cling film and let it rest for an 30 minutes until it rises a little.
Knead it until the dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). You can use a stand mixer as well. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or cling film and let it rest for an 1-1 1/2 hours or until it doubles in size.
You can also put it in the fridge and leave it overnight (the flavour will be even nicer), just remember to take it out around 2 hours before following the rest of the recipe, so the dough has time to warm up to room temperature.
After the dough has rested turn out the dough into a lightly floured surface and form it into the ball. Put into the floured basket or a bowl covered with floured tea towel. Leave it for an hour to rise or until it doubles in size.
At least 40 minutes before you plan to bake, place a cast iron pan and preheat the oven to 240°C.
Turn the temperature down to 210°C. Turn the dough onto lightly floured wooden board and score it with a serrated knife or razorblade. Slide it into the heated pan gently.
Bake for 25 minutes with the lid on. Then with the lid off for 10-15 more minutes or until golden.
The bread should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Cool the baked bread on the cooling rack.

Cook Blog Share

I’ve added this little recipe to Lucy’s movement Cook Blog Share, that is about spreading some love to brilliant blogs that around us. Feel free to join us!

13 thoughts on “Lavender and honey bread”

Magda, your bread has turned out very beautiful…perfect crust and crumb..heavenly.

Magda says:

Thank you Angie, it means a lot from a person, that bakes as much as you do.

This sounds delicious. Did you just eat it on its own or with something else?

Magda says:

Ciara, my favourite way of eating bread is when it’s still slightly warm with just some butter on it. But other than that we would eat whatever we feel like it. The lavender is just tiny hint. I would guess it goes well with cheeses and sweet things like jam :)

Lovely. I will have to try it! And YES to warm bread!!

What a gorgeous loaf! Stunning, really. I know what you mean about bread making being addictive I think it was making a challah bread that got me into this whole blogging lark in the first place. I love the idea of honey and lavender – not just romantic, I bet very tasty too! I haven’t found edible lavender anywhere but I bet it’s more readily available now than a few years ago.
    Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare – check out the other entries on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/supergolden88/cookblogshare/
    and Google+

Magda says:

Thank you so much Lucy! I wasn’t sure which lavender is edible, but I finally bought a jar from Steenbergs, the same guys we’ve got saffron at FBC. You can get it online (I saw it on Amazon), but I’m sure you can get it from good grocery shops.

I am so happy I inspired you to keep on sourdough baking ;)
    This loaf is simply gorgeous and I cannot imagine the lovely flavour it must have.
    Keep on baking, you are good at it :)
    Have a lovely start of the week
    Lou

Magda says:

Lou, thank you. And be careful I haven’t baked a 100% sourdough bread in a long time, but I haven’t killed a starter so far, so that’s the progress ;) And I defo need to get some classes from you on baking :)

Derik says:

Never would have thought to add lavender to bread. Looks great though. I like to add things in my breads all the time as well. I bet that is a nice combination too.

Magda says:

Hi Derik, I wouldn’t think about it too, but what are the books for? Happy baking!

Bea says:

Magdo, przepiekny bochenek! I do tego niezwykle oryginalny smak! Juz wyobrazam go dobie z dodatkiem sera koziego albo morelowego dzemu… :))
    Pozdrawiam serdecznie!

Magda says:

O Beo dziękuję. Jestem z niego bardzo dumna. Ser kozi uwielbiam i właśnie przywieźliśmy go trochę z Paryża :) Tylko chleba nie ma :(

Tell me what you think