Breakfast, Desserts

Hazelnut millet porridge with dates

October 9, 2014

millet porridge

Millet has been trending in Polish blogosphere for a while. Apparently it’s one of the healthiest grains (although technically it’s a seed). But I struggle with changing my habits. For an everyday breakfast I usually have muesli with milk or yogurt. But when I get myself organized I often have porridge. So millet porridge was on my list for a year or so and one day finally while waiting for a torrential rain I got myself into making a big bowl of it.

I must say that millet porridge with hazelnut milk and dates is just brilliant, it actually tastes more like a dessert than breakfast so maybe perfect for days when you really want to treat yourself with something nice. I see more millet porridge in my future.

millet porridge

Millet porridge

Makes: Makes 2 small portions

Millet porridge

Recipe from Bea w kuchni

• 2– 2½ cup hazelnut milk
  • ½ cup millet, rinsed and drained
  • a handful of dates, pitted and chopped
  • a pinch of cinnamon
  • a pinch of ginger
  • a pinch of salt
  • To serve
  • toasted almond flakes or other nuts
  • fruits
In a small saucepan boil the milk.
Add in millet, then dates and cinnamon. After a few minutes add in ginger, and after a few more minutes salt.
Simmer for 15 minutes or until happy with the consistency.
Serve with toasted nuts or fruits.

millet porridge

• Reply Bea October 10, 2014 at 07:05

Magdo, pieknie wyglada na Twoich zdjeciach! Wersja orzechowa to tez swietna opcja :)
    A co do musli, to ja na poczatku mojego pobytu tutaj (czyli 20 lat temu… ;)) jadalam cos w stylu tutejszego birchermusli, czesto na bazie czegos, co podobne jest do polskiego serka homogenizowanego, najbardziej lubilam ten o smaku morelowym :) Niestety teraz o morelowym serku moge juz sobie tylko pomarzyc… ;)
    Pozdrawiam serdecznie!

• Reply Magda October 12, 2014 at 21:58

Beo dziękuję. Ja ze zdjeć nie jestem całkiem zadowolona, ale i tak jestem dumna, ze udało mi się w końcu ja przygotować.
      Ja w sumie nie próbowałam birchermusli. Znając ciebie podejrzewam, ze wymyślisz przepis na podobny bez nabiału.
      Pierwszy z brzegu przepis jaki mi wyskoczył był z mlekiem migdałowym http://deliciouslyella.com/recipe/bircher-muesli-with-almond-milk/

• Reply Kirsty @ Ever So Sweet October 13, 2014 at 10:14

Hi! This looks really appetising. I know what you mean about changing eating habits. I always have the best of intentions for interesting and healthy breakfasts but when morning rolls around I just reach for the cereal again!
    I’ve never tried millet but I must track some down to mix up my breakfasts!

• Reply Magda October 15, 2014 at 20:55

I’m guilty of the same. I’m still looking for another quick and delicious options.
      For millet try either Tesco, or if you have a Polish shop look for Kasza Jeczmienna. There should be a small English name on a box, but sometimes they are hard to spot.

• Reply mytravelingjoys October 13, 2014 at 18:01

Ciekawe! I’m on a gluten-free diet now and bought some millet awhile back. In the US, we use this as birdseed, so I wasn’t sure how to cook it! ;-) So thanks for the inspiration! BTW, I have had good results making porridge from quinoa and dried fruit – even hubby was impressed!

• Reply Magda October 15, 2014 at 20:57

Prawda? I know believe we can cook porridge from most of grains, but if there was a way of preventing it sticking to the bottom of the pan other than stirring. I can’t make myself into getting up earlier to prepare nicer breakfast :(