Ireland

Kerry is beautiful even in the fog

February 21, 2015

kerry in the fog

Travelling around Ireland is always risky business. The weather is unpredictable, especially in late autumn and winter.

We once travel along the coast and couldn’t see the sea. When we visited Kerry in November and we were blessed with one day of gorgeous weather, the rest was well… good enough. What you can see on the first image, should really look more like this. Luckily at the sea level the visibility was much better.

kerry in the fog-3

kerry in the fog-7

Everytime we travel I can’t believe that everything looks like advertised. The grass is so green and soft no matter what season it is.

kerry in the fog-3-3

The cliffs, the ocean, the green hills, the stone walls, sheep… Everything is breathtaking.

kerry in the fog-2

kerry in the fog-4

You need to have nerves of steel to be a sheep in Kerry, one bad step and you can end in the ocean.

kerry in the fog-4-2

kerry in the fog-5-2

I forgot how dark nights can be. One night we were staying at this B&B just outside of the village, it wasn’t far away, maybe 10 minutes from the centre. We left the house and were standing in total darkness. We knew the road just few steps from us, but we couldn’t see it. Living in the city you forget those little things. Luckily we had a torch.

Rossbeigh Beach

Rossbeigh Beach was the most windy spot we visited. When we got out of the car we could barely walk.

I think my hairstyle can prove, that I’m not lying.

Myself at Rossbeigh Beach

But windy or not, nobody can stop Irish people from having good time, you will always find people strolling, fishing, or surfing. Just remember to dress adequately and you will be grand.

Fishing at Rossbeigh Beach

kerry in the fog-8

kerry in the fog-9

• Reply Kristin February 22, 2015 at 11:48

Stunning! I agree with you that in the West, everything is like the postcards. So beautiful.

• Reply Adrienne February 23, 2015 at 17:59

Stunning photos Magda, as always. Kerry is such a beautiful place and you captured it so well.

• Reply Magda February 25, 2015 at 21:37

Thank you girls, I’m so happy you liked it and stop by to say that!

• Reply Renee February 27, 2015 at 00:53

I’m in agreement as well. We drove from Galway to Cork one day with non-stop torrential rain. It was this very week in February 12 years ago that we were there, and it was exactly as you have photographed it. I could not believe how green it was. Everywhere. Everything. My favorite thing? The palm trees! People here in the U.S. still do not believe me when I tell them about all the palm trees. I have to show them pictures to prove it. : ) Can you take some photos of the beautiful palm trees when you have time? I thought Cobh was something special with the waterfront. So pretty.

• Reply Magda February 27, 2015 at 21:13

It’s great to hear my photos bring your memories back, even if that means torrential rain! I can’t believe there are no photos of palm trees on a blog. I was obsessed with them when I got here. palm tree 1
      palm tree 2palm tree in Dublin city centre - Stephen's Green
      Is that enough?
      We didn’t get to Cobh. Ireland seems tiny, but there are so many places to visit!

• Reply Renee February 27, 2015 at 21:16

THANK YOU! Yes!!!! So great to see these. And the flowers too. We won’t have any flowers until at least May here in Western New York State.

• Reply Magda February 28, 2015 at 21:34

I didn’t know that spring in Western New York State comes so late. My mom just sent me a photo of first flowers showing up in Poland and the winters are tougher than in Ireland, but I guess with all the snow you guys had this year it’s hard to expect spring too soon.
      I will try to post some photos of flowers to keep your spirit :)