Cakes, Christmas, Polish food

Honey Cake (Miodownik)

December 28, 2012
Lately I lost my voice (metaphorically speaking). I don’t know if I want to talk about Christmas, or about how full we still are or maybe how the kittens are growing and getting bolder.
So instead of trying to make up something I will present you with a monster cake aka honey cake (miodownik).
The cake is huge, it has 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of cream. It was baked in a pan 25x35cm. So this is a great cake for a party or sharing. We made one Italian guy very happy as he saved himself three  slices for the Christmas breakfast.
The cake tastes the best after 2-3 days in the fridge. The all flavours nicely come together. Myself and Tomek still argue what is the best part of the cake I think that is the walnut top layer, he says it was the cream. I wonder what will be your choice.
Polish cakes - Honey Cake  (Miodownik)

Honey Cake  (Miodownik)

The recipe is mix of these two recipes from Kuchnia nad Atlantykiem and Moje wypieki.
For 25x35cm pan.

Walnut layer:

• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 4 Tbsp honey
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 200g walnuts

Cream:

• 10 Tbsp/115g semolina (Polish: kasza manna)
  • 500 ml full fat milk
  • 250 ml evaporated milk (unsweetened)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 250 g butter
  • 2 Tbsp vanilla liqueur or other alcohol

Cake:
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan.
Sift the flour and baking soda. Add cold butter.
With your hands, rub together the flour mixture with the butter cubes until the mixture forms small breadcrumbs. Alternatively, you can use a food processor for 10-12 second.
Add the remaining ingredients and quickly knead the dough.
Divide it into 3 pieces.
Line 25x35cm pans with parchment paper. If you have three pans than you are lucky, you can bake them in one batch, otherwise you need to bake each layer separately.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it covers the pan base.
Transfer it gently into the pan. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Prick the dough with a fork.

Walnut layer:
Melt the butter in the pan. Add honey and sugar. When everything is melted add walnuts and let them fry for a few minutes.
Arrange the walnuts at the top of the one dough layer (this will be your top layer).

Cake:
Bake each cake layer around 10 minutes or until golden.

Remove from the oven and leave it to cool. Remove the pan and peel off the parchment liner.
Frosting:
In a small bowl mix evaporated milk with semolina. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan heat slightly full fat milk, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add evaporated milk with semolina.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture boils and thickens.
Take the mixture from the heat and add 2 egg yolks. Stir well.
Add vanilla extract and let it cool.
Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the cold semolina mixture spoon by spoon mixing all the time.
At the end add the liqueur and mix.
To assemble the cake:
Place the first walnut-less cake layer on a plastic board. Cover it with half of the frosting. Place the second cake layer. Cover it with the remaining frosting. Place the cake layer with walnuts at the top.
Leave in fridge for at least 24 hours (preferably for 48 hours). The moisture from the cream needs to transfer to the cake and soften it. Slice it.
Polish cakes - Honey Cake  (Miodownik)

• Reply Julie December 28, 2012 at 16:45

I can almost taste the crunchiness of the toping with the softer cake base through looking at your picture. Looks lovely!

• Reply Magda December 28, 2012 at 16:55

Thank you Julie, so I see you would probably go with my opinion that the walnut layer is the best.

• Reply a Palate and a Passport December 30, 2012 at 14:01

Definitely!

• Reply Angie's Recipes December 28, 2012 at 19:20

The cake looks super tempting!

• Reply Magda December 30, 2012 at 13:04

• Reply Kama February 14, 2014 at 12:43

Hi Magda!
    Can’t wait to make Miodownik for my mum tomorrow. Special occasion calls for a special cake :-)
    I love visiting your cauldron, you take great photographs and what a fantastic selection of recipes. I’m finding it awfully hard to get into blogging, so I really admire this space.
    Hope you and the cats are keeping well after the stroms!

• Reply Magda February 23, 2014 at 12:47

Hi Kama, so nice to hear from you. I hope your cake worked out nicely. Go back into blogging, without it I don’t know how to follow your adventures. I love your pets and I would love to visit you one day, I somehow have a feeling we would have nice time chat over coffee.
      We actually went on holidays this month, the cats were with our friend, but yes, we are all safe and sound :) Please say hello more often :)

• Reply Amanda May 9, 2014 at 16:26

Hi, I’m looking forward to making this honey cake, but I’m a bit confused about putting the cake together once it’s cooked. Do you bake 3 separate cakes or 1 at a time? Also it doesn’t say when you put the cream on and does that need to be cooked too. Do we line the pan with grease proof paper? I’m not sure how it is all assembled? Waiting to hear back from you, thanks

• Reply Magda May 9, 2014 at 16:50

Hi Amanda,
    If you have a fan oven and three 25x35cm pans, than you can bake all three layers at once. Otherwise you bake one layer at a time and yes you line your pans with parchment paper.
    I usually wait with preparing cream until I have all three cake layers ready, but you can start cooking it when you put the cake into an oven as the cream needs to cool down as well.
    For cream you Mix evaporated milk with semolina in a small bowl. Set aside. Then in a medium saucepan heat slightly full fat milk, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add evaporated milk with semolina, you bring it to boil and stir from time to time until the mixture thickens. Then follow the rest cream steps.
    To assemble place the first walnut-less cake layer on a plastic board. Cover it with half of the frosting. Place the second cake layer. Cover it with the remaining frosting. Place the cake layer with walnuts at the top.
    Leave in fridge for at least 24 hours (preferably for 48 hours). The moisture from the cream needs to transfer to the cake and soften it.

• Reply Amanda May 10, 2014 at 14:00

Hi Magda
    Thanks for your reply, I’ve baked the cakes and made the cream just waiting for everything to cool down so I can assemble it all together , I’ll let you know how it goes :-)

• Reply Magda May 10, 2014 at 20:41

I hope it goes well :) Fingers crossed. Just remember it takes some time to cake to soften.